Adding ERC20 Tokens
Normally, MetaMask displays ERC20 standard tokens(or standard tokens) you own on your account page.
To see your tokens, click on the Assets tab. Your tokens should be listed under this tab.
If your token is not listed automatically, you may add the tokens manually. On your account page, scroll down to find the Add Token button. This will bring you to a search bar, where you can find popular (standard) tokens easily.
How to use the search bar?
You may follow these steps:
- Type in words contained in the token you would like to search. For example, if I would like to look for Chainlink (Symbol: LINK), I just type in "LI” in the bar, and the search bar will return all the suggestions.
- Select token of interest, and click Next to proceed. (*As soon as you select a token, the button's border will be highlighted in blue)
- Click Add token to proceed. You will be then redirected to your account page. The token you have just added will be listed.
How to hide the token?
Once added, you can Hide the token from your token list as well by clicking the three dots icon in the top right corner, and proceeding to Hide(token name).
If the token you search for is not among the most popular tokens, the search bar may not return the token you queried. In this case, you could add a custom token (manually).
How to add a custom token?
- On the Add Token page, click on the Custom Token tab to expand the search window.
- Enter the token address in the field called Token Address
- In most cases, the Token Symbol and Decimals of Precision will autofill, otherwise please follow the points below. Note: if these options are not working, you could also look at the token project's documentation for these details
- Click Next to proceed
- You will be redirected to confirm adding a token. Click Add Token to confirm
What if I don’t know the token address?
The token's contract address may vary depending on the network they are hosted on. For token projects on the ethereum main-net, you can search through block explorers such as Etherscan or Ethplorer. For tokens on an alternative network, please ensure the correct network is currently selected on your MetaMask and use the corresponding block explorer to search for the token.
You may also ask the person who sends you the tokens for the token's contract address.
Please be aware that if someone told you they have sent you tokens, but they are unable to provide you the token address, or the transaction hash(a unique transaction ID), it’s possible that they haven't in fact done so.
Without the token address, you would not have the information required to track those tokens.
How to add a token using etherscan.io
- Go to etherscan.io
- Search for your token
- Click the three dots icon, on the top right of your etherscan profile summary
- Click Add token to web3 wallet
- Metamask will pop up for you to confirm Add Token