MetaMask now allows you connect a Trezor or Ledger wallet. This allows you to:
- Check your account balance (ETH or Tokens).
- Sign transactions — For ex. Send ETH and ERC20 tokens and collectibles, deploy contracts, etc.
- Sign messages
Why connect your hardware wallet to MetMask? Some sites may have integration with MetaMask but not with Trezor or Ledger wallets yet. Connecting your wallet with MetaMask, allows you to interact with those sites now! In addition, this helps developers, as it gives their users more options with less development work on their end.
How do I connect my Trezor or Ledger Hardware Wallet?
**Before you start, make sure you have**
- the most up-to-date firmware on your ledger or trezor device
- up-to-date browser
- up-to-date Ethereum App on the Ledger (from Ledger Live > Manager)
- "browser support" enabled on the device
- "contract data" enabled on the device (if needed for what you are doing)
- ledger live app closed
- the device plugged in via USB NOT bluetooth
- Ledgers connecting with MetaMask can be broken due to cache, follow this article to fix it
- **Still having troubles connecting?**
1. unlock your MetaMask
2. select the icon on the top-right corner
3. select Connect Hardware Wallet
4. choose ledger or trezor
5. click connect
6. select an account you want to interact with (note: MetaMask can only have one connected and accessible at any given time)
Once you successfully connect your account, it will behave just like other MetaMask account, with the difference that you need to have your wallet plugged in for signing transactions or messages.
If later you want to remove the connected account, simply click the X next to it on the account list menu (MetaMask will remember your account name and tx history if you reimport that account in the future).
What if I cannot find the account that I'm looking for?
If you previously used an account and would like to connect it to MetaMask, make sure you view multiple pages of accounts on BOTH derivation paths (Ledger Live and Legacy).