**Please note that when resetting your password or restoring from Secret Recovery Phrase, any accounts (addresses) that did NOT ORIGINATE under your phrase will not be recovered upon the completion of the reset process. These imported accounts, either hardware wallet or imported via private key, are NOT INCLUDED under the Secret Recovery Phrase and will need to be re-added manually. Please be sure to verify that you have retained access to the private key details for any imported accounts before proceeding with the reset process.
When resetting your password for your MetaMask wallet, you will need your 12-word secret Secret Recovery Phrase. If you do not already have your Secret Recovery Phrase saved someplace safe, please make sure to read How to Reveal Your Secret Recovery Phrase.
Before trying these steps, confirm that you have your Secret Recovery Phrase with you, as you will not be able to reset your password otherwise and will risk being locked out of your wallet.
For Mobile instructions, scroll down.
- If your wallet is currently unlocked, please log out, click on the account icon on the top right corner to open the dropdown menu, and select Lock in the dropdown of the account:
- As soon you are on the Login view, click Import using Secret Recovery Phrase:
- Enter your 12-word secret Secret Recovery Phrase in the Wallet Seed text box. Make sure they are added in the order in which they were originally given, single spaces in between, all lower case
- Enter your new password
- Retype your password to confirm it was written correctly
- Click Restore
- If your wallet is currently unlocked, please log out, click on the sidebar menu and select Log Out at the end of the sidebar menu:
- As soon you are on the login view click Reset Wallet:
- You will see the message: "Are you sure you want to erase your wallet" click "I understand, continue"
- Type delete my wallet
- As soon as you confirm, you will see Sync with MetaMask extension
- Alternatively, you can tap Import using Secret Recovery Phrase
Can MetaMask Support reset my password for me?
MetaMask is not a cloud-based solution and never has access to your secret Secret Recovery Phrase. It resides locally on your device (client-side) and is only shown to you.
If you get an error regarding your Secret Recovery Phrase being invalid, check here.
For more on Passwords in MetaMask, see here.
To better communicate the importance of never sharing your seed phrase, we've changed the name of the phrase to "secret recovery phrase". Learn more here.