Curiosity doesn’t kill the fox. It empowers it!
If you were hacked, this would most likely be due to a few possible reasons:
1- Your computer has been compromised with (malware/spyware) and you stored your private information on your computer.
2- You have visited a malicious phishing website that stole your information.
3- You gave your private key or Seed Phrase / Secret Recovery Phrase to someone or a site.
4- You gave a web3 site / smart contract unlimited access to your funds (check who you gave access to and revoke here: https://tac.dappstar.io/#/)
5- You installed a fake MetaMask extension that stole your funds.
Try to analyze your browser history and scan your computer to eliminate any further breach of information. If you discover any suspicious phishing websites please notify us via the Metamask Support Form so we can prevent this from happening to other users in the future. If you have any further information after your own investigation please let us know.
- Install MetaMask on another browser (or create another profile on your current browser of choice), or create a new account from a fresh download of the mobile app.
- When asked, create a new seed
- Write it down and store it someplace safe
- Go back to the compromised account and send funds to the newly created account
- Discontinue using the old account as soon as possible.
- Unfortunately, transactions cannot be reversed, nor missing the funds restored.
- Seed Phrase / Secret Recovery Phrase cannot be edited or changed.
To better communicate the importance of never sharing your seed phrase, we've changed the name of the phrase to "secret recovery phrase". Learn more here