What if I don’t know the token contract address?
The token's contract address may vary depending on the network they are hosted on. For token projects on the Ethereum main net, you can search through block explorers such as Etherscan, Ethplorer. For tokens on alternative networks, please ensure the correct network is currently selected on your MetaMask and use the corresponding block explorer to search for the token.
You may also ask the person who sends you the tokens for the token's contract address.
Please be aware that if someone told you they have sent you tokens, but are unable to provide you the token address, or the transaction hash ID(a unique transaction ID), it’s possible that they haven't in fact done so.
Without the token address, you would not be able to have the information required to track those tokens.
If you direct deposit your token from an exchange or a third-party wallet, please check the explorer for this token on https://www.coingecko.com/en for example UNI where you will see multiple explorers. Sometimes the token address is listed right after:
As soon as you proceed to any of these explorers you will see Contract address:
Please copy it or directly add it in your wallet following these steps:
- On the Add Token page, click on the Custom Token tab to expand the search window.
- Enter the token address in the field called Token Address
- In most cases, the Token Symbol and Decimals of Precision will autofill, otherwise please follow the points below. Note: if these options are not working, you could also look at the token project's documentation for these details
- Click Next to proceed
- You will be redirected to confirm adding a token. Click Add Token to confirm
How to add a token using etherscan.io
- Go to etherscan.io
- Search for your token
- Click the three dots icon, on the top right of your etherscan profile summary
- Click Add token to web3 wallet
- Metamask will pop up for you to confirm Add Token